Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why didn't I listen?

Why didn't we listen to our parents? Why didn't I listen?

I was pondering on something a buddy said to me the other day, which is something I've been sharing with others for many years now. He said, "You know Joey, the older I get, the smarter my parents become."

There is so much advice that I should have implemented into my life when I was young, but I just didn't do. But, at the same time, I think there was a lot of "stuff" in my parent's lives when they were young adults that they just didn't know like we as parents do now.

But still they had wisdom that I didn't, and they tried to share it with me.

With many hard knocks along the way, and with the hopes that it might make a difference for someone somewhere, here are some of the things I'd like to share with younger audiences:
  • Constantly have mentors in your life.
    There's no such thing as one mentor for life, no one can do that. But throughout your life, seek out mentors for a specific goal you're trying to accomplish. Whether you seek a career mentor, relationship mentor, financial mentor, spiritual mentor, etc., seek out someone that is where you'd like to be and meet with them once per month. Have a specific agenda for each meeting and make it worth your mentors time when you meet with them.
  • Always have 1, 5 and 10 year goals.
    If you don't have goals, how do you ever know when you score? Goals keep you on track, keep you focused and motivated. Share your goals with others to help hold yourself accountable.

  • Understand that "homework" never ends.
    Just because you get out of school, don't fool yourself into thinking that homework ends, because it doesn't. You'll have research to do on someone you're going to meet to make a sale too; for someone you're going to provide your resume too; for any organizations you join; for any event you're going to attend and the list goes on. You'll also need to constantly have some reading plan in your life if you really want to grow to be all you can be.

  • Try to compete with those that are better than you are.
    If you're always playing against someone you can win against, how do you ever grow and get better? Sure you need a win occasionally to remain motivated, but spend a majority of your time competing with superior forces.

My question: What additional advice would you provide a young person?



[Note: photo from http://i.telegraph.co.uk/]

Your Success Is My Business.”™

pondering - "to think about : reflect on"

Please share with others:

No comments: