Monday, March 22, 2010

I Can See! (Vision - Part II)


I've been pondering a lot recently about vision. In fact, I just wrote another blog about it so it's really been on my mind a lot lately.

For business, I can't fathom a reason why there wouldn't be a clearly defined vision, mission and culture statement that every employee knows by heart. When I talk with great business leaders, they tell me they literally cringe when their teams can't immediately recite all of these to someone. For everyone in your business to understand the purpose of the business, how you're going to get there and how you're going to work in accomplishing this is so vitally important to any company's long-term success, how do businesses operate without them?

I was recently listening to Bill Hybels share some keys in creating a organizations vision and wanted to share some of them with you:
  • Vision creates the picture of the perfect future.
  • The most incredible vision is worthless if no one owns it.
  • The first step in creating your vision is to use the team approach in drafting it. "People don't have to have their way, they just have to have their way considered."
  • The vision must be refined before delivered in it's final version.
  • Declare the vision to your company - this is a team activity.
  • Vision leaks. Use all tactics available to keep people's vision buckets full.

And the last point of creating a successful vision: The single most determining factor to whether your followers will own the vision is by how deeply they believe that you own it.

My question: What is your company's vision?


[Note: photo from http://intimacywithgod.files.wordpress.com/]

Your Success Is My Business.”™

pondering - "to think about : reflect on"

Please share with others:

1 comment:

Phil Holland said...

I have a question for you. You used the term "culture statement", I might be showing too much ignorance, but I don't think I have ever heard of this term. Weill you please define it? Thanks
Phil