Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Can't Have a Positive Outlook?

A friend of mine recently posted this comment/quote on their Facebook status and made reference to it being "one of the greatest quotes ever" (sorry in advance for a couple of the words, but this was the exact quote):

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh*ts on everybody.
Pretending it ain't sh*t makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

Now I'm the first to agree that everyone has the right to say whatever they feel they need to. And each of us also has the right to either not listen, or not agree. So as I read this post, I pondered on what it meant and wondered if I was filtering it internally the same way they were when they posted it.

I've always thought of myself as an optimist...have even made the comment "eternal optimist" about myself before. I believe there is a positive within every negative regardless (so far) of the situation.

I'll also share that growing up in the South, from a family with all prior generations in the farming industry, I've shoveled untold 5-gallon buckets full of cow manure to use as fertilizer for gardens. So I think I can say I'm an expert in dealing with dung. But even that "dung" was useful for something!

Here's the way I'm wired and how I view things: Life is like a road - there's construction, traffic jams, turns, straight aways, slow lanes, fast lanes, weigh stations, fuel stations, stop signs, go signs, warning signs, steep grades, inclines, don't pass lanes, multi-lanes, one-way roads, toll roads, interstates, scenic highways, vehicles of all shapes/sizes/ages and, of course...the pot holes. And, don't forget that any vehicle on this road is going to need some periodic, scheduled maintenance and of course some upgrades along the way. The more you understand this, the better you mentally prepare yourself for all these...and, the better you'll make it through life when you face them.

I do love quotes, and I thought this one was perfect for this post and in response to the prior one my friend posted:

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty
."
~ Sir Winston Churchill

My question: Are you a glass half full or half empty person?



[Note: photo from http://www.aspirationmag.com/]
Your Success Is My Business.”™

pondering - "to think about : reflect on"
Please share with others:

No comments: