Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Top Shot...Not

It was a fun ride, but it just didn't happen - this time.

My first attempt at appearing on a TV series, a reality TV series at that, has ended. I didn't make it...doesn't look like I'm going to be America's first TOP SHOT.

For those of you who don't know the story, I'll give you the Readers Digest version:

A friend of mine sent out an e-mail in early December stating that the History Channel was in the process of creating a new series and it had something to do with shooting guns. Well, that was right up my alley! His message included an e-mail address to Pilgrim Films, the company responsible for creating the series. So, I started to ponder on all this, thought "what the hey", and I fired off an e-mail to them - which began with the line, "STOP LOOKING - YOU'VE FOUND ME!"

I didn't share with anyone that I had sent in the request. So on Wednesday night, December 16th, I had just come in from hunting and my wife arrived home at the same time from her outting. She noticed a message waiting on the phone and while I piled up in my recliner, she listened and I overheard her mumble, "Huh? TV show....what??" I thought silently to myself, "NO WAY!" She listened to the message again and said, "I don't know what's going on, but there's some guy named Sydney that wants to talk with you about being on a TV show. He wants you to call him back." I burst out laughing, told her the story of getting the e-mail a week or so earlier and what I had done.

So, I called Syndey Leier and we talked for about 20 minutes. He asked me a lot of questions, "What do you do? Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to do this?" etc., etc. I was so tickled I think I giggled through the entire conversation. At the conclusion of the call, he stated he was going to send me a form to complete and return to him, then asked if I could make a 5 to 10 minute "demo video" and upload it for them to view (here is that video).

With the form completed and the video submitted (on Sunday, January 17th) I patiently waited to hear if I was going to make the cut.

Let me add here that I've never watched or been "hooked" on any reality TV show. I've NEVER seen one single episode of Big Brother, Survivor or anything of the like. Just never had any desire. Hey, life is a reality show in itself, why watch one of TV?

During the wait, I had asked friends, family and colleagues to send in a "we want Joey" e-mail to Pilgrim Films. With this, I had many, many people ask me about what was going on. It was really fun in sharing the story, and so many people were so very encouraging.

I found out this morning (02/10/10) that I was not selected for the show; I have to admit that the process, the effort in creating the video, the support from everyone was quite exciting. Sure I would have LOVED to have made it on the show...I can only imagine about all the cool weapons they're going to get to use, but life is like that and I'm okay.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to each of you that helped with the e-mail campaign, who provided encouragement and to everyone who helped...especially my wife Chris who I drug out into the woods, in the rain and all over with my crazy video ideas.

So, with that adventure over, a new one now begins.

Until next time...


[Note: photo from http://www.fairlawnpd.com/]

Your Success Is My Business.”™

No comments: