Sunday, September 13, 2009

Twins

I'm a pretty big guy. Sure there are guys bigger than me, but I'd have to say I'm up there myself. It's not often that I see someone taller than me. At 80 inches tall and about 270lbs, it takes a lot of material to fully cloth me.

And I don't think of myself as tall or out-of-the-normal. When I stand around with a group of guys, I just feel like a normal "one of the guys" guy myself from my perspective. It's only when I see someone that's really tall that it dawns on me about my physical size.

My friend Francis Mitchell always calls me her "twin" when we see each other..."twins separated at birth" is what she always tells me, kinda like Arnold Schwarenegger and Danny Devito from the 1988 movie Twins. Of course you can see from the photo that this would really be like the movie Twins if it were true. From Francis' perspective, I can't imagine how I "look" to her. It's got to be a little scary.

So as I was pondering on all this, my perspective of the world versus Francis' perspective of the world, I began thinking about this from a business point-of-view.

My friend Jason Jennings wrote one of my favorite books, "Think Big, Act Small" about great companies that are really big (such as Dot Foods, Sonic, Cabelas, etc.), but how they act small in the attention they give to not only their customers, but also to their employees. As a fan of Cabelas myself, it's always a pleasure to shop in their stores because of all the wonderful customer service I've always received. They always seem like the small town business that cares so much for their customer. This giant of a company seems to me like a friend.

What businesses do you shop with that is a really big business, but from your perspective seem to be a friend to you, or maybe even closer - like a brother...or even a twin? Why do you think they have this perspective?

Until next time, remember “Your Success Is My Business."™

Like this post? Pass it on! (See "Share it" link below)

No comments: