Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shouldn't He Have Known?

Part of the title to my blog includes "pondering", and that's what I've been doing this afternoon...pondering over something that happened today:

I was called for Federal Jury Duty today, my first time. Suit, tie, dress shoes...trying to remind myself that what I was doing was part of the great thing about being an American (only equal to our freedom and ability to vote) and not thinking about all the work I was possibly getting behind on---you know the routine.

While our group was waiting for our initial instructions, we were given about a 45 minute break...rest room, stretching, mingling, etc. before the next step in the process begun. The gentlemen next to me and myself whipped out our books (I had "Becoming A Person of Influence" by John Maxwell, his seemed to be non-fiction as well).

The gentlemen toward the end left for a rest room break, and when he returned he noticed the two of us reading. This is when he said it:

"You guys must have done this before...I wish I had brought a book with me."

I sat there for a moment considering letting him take my book as I could always get it back and read later. But then this thought came to me, "Why didn't he bring one?"

Now, I'm the first to admit I'm not the smartest guy in the world---far from it in fact. And, unlike his statement, this was the first time I'd done this. But somehow I thought to bring something to help me grow personally if there were any spots when nothing was happening...like then.

When I travel, I don't sit at the airport terminal hour on end day-dreaming, I bring something to work on or something to read to stretch my mind & help me grow. When I ride down the road, I always try to have something to listen to that inspires me and motivates me. Something as simple as the included CD in every Success Magazine, or one of my Jeffrey Gitomer CD's, or some downloaded podcast.

So thinking about all of this caused me to ponder some more.

As I travel around and talk with people, the majority of folks I speak with are always interested in making (mostly expecting) more money, getting promotions, owning a home, having nice vacations, etc. But what personal growth items do they implement in their schedules to help accomplish these things? I can't imagine they think just by hanging around and putting forth the same (or no) effort will cause all their dreams to come true...they don't do they??

I pondered on saying something to the gentlemen who made the "wish I would have" statement, but didn't. It's unfortunate that for many, at the end of their careers that they'll probably look back and have many "wish I would have" wisedom for someone else.

This is a lesson for myself that I'm glad I pondered over.

Until next time, remember “Your Success Is My Business."™

http://www.joeypeacock.com/

No comments: