Saturday, January 24, 2009

Do Businesses Really Care About Creating Customer Loyalty?

I visited a couple of local businesses the other day, and based on my experiences, I'm wondering if businesses are truly concerned about creating customer loyalty.

Let me share my experiences...

I went to a local fast food restaurant. Now, you may think that fast food restaurants aren't really concerned with customer service, much less customer loyalty because all customer's are interested in is food, fast (and let me add that most chain stores are locally owned and operated). But I disagree, just ask Chick-fil-A, they really care. And I really care too. What difference should it matter whether I'm sitting down in a fine restaurant or stopping by a chain? I still desire a friendly face from someone who wants to provide great service.

At this chain, the employees (all of them) acted as if someone were holding them hostage to work there. There was never a "thank you" or "your welcome" or "how may I help you". I got a "Can I take your order?" and, then as I've found common to this particular store, "...we don't have..." this and that, and a "that isn't ready and will take 20 minutes to cook" like I was putting them out!

I was the second guy in line, but more people came in after me and all got the same cold, put-off treatment. Let me also add here that all this happened right at supper time when they should have expected a crowd to come in and was prepared with appropriate food to deliver.

After about a 20 minute wait, and then not getting exactly what I ordered, I then got home to find food that was, let me say, questionable...you wouldn't find me recommending this place to my friends and colleagues. I also wouldn't say they created a loyal customer out of me either. And other than the fact that I will not state the name of the location here, you could truly call me a detractor to their business.

For the other business, I saw one of their sales people who in the middle of our casual conversation added, half-joking half-serious, "...let me sell you some (product name)." I thought, who trained them in their sales skills and how do they feel this is an appropriate approach to moving their products?? I gave the "I'm not really interested now" reply and that was it. I actually believe the person wanted to sell me their product, but the approach and follow-up were completely unprofessional.

I just can't understand how in our current economy that business owners are not focusing on training their teams to deliver world-class service with every customer interaction!!

Whether you provide your team books to read on the subject, provide on-line training, leader motivation in weekly team discussions, or by bringing someone in to lead a team meeting, growing profits is directly related to how well your employees provide a great experience with your business. But isn't this really Business 101?

Until next time, remember “Your Success Is My Business."™

http://joeypeacock.com/

No comments: