Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lessons I Learned - From a SunBurn

It was Memorial Day...must have been around 1989. I went out on a water skiing trip with some friends and in about a two hour time frame, became so sun-burnt that I had to miss a week of work and take (internally and externally) so many medications. It was without a doubt the worst pain I've even been in throughout my life (so far, no broken bones!).

As I ponder on that, with Memorial Day quickly approaching, I thought about the leadership lessons I learned from this event. They are:
  • Always be sure to consider the consequences of your decision. I often discuss with my son that every decision has a consequence - some positive, some negative, but there's always a consequence. Our job is to try to make as many decisions that will produce positive results as possible.
  • Go into the action prepared. I should have known better than to go out on the water, in the middle of a hot, cloudless sunny day, without sun-screen. Anything you're going to do needs a plan, regardless of how simple or how meaningless you believe it is.
  • Have a "replacement" plan in affect. You are never guaranteed another day. I had no plan for being out unexpectantly for a week. You never know when something is going to happen, possibly even good (a promotion or the career of your dreams comes along), that will cause you to not be able to perform your current role. All great leaders are always working to replace themselves so that they can move on to the next challenge. Create a program that immediately begins to fill your role...in case.
  • Set your team up for success. I've seen so many micro-managers in my life. They're the leader who has to have their hand in everything. They work from the philosophy, "If I want it done right, I'll do it myself." This is the worse path you can create for your team, and for the success of what you do. Prepare your team every day to work, decide and to lead as if you were not there. Then, when/if something happens, the team can continue to be successful.
  • Be accountable. When something happens to you, the majority of the time it's because of some decision you've made. Just like with me going to the river in the middle of the day without sun-screen...that was my decision to do, regardless of whether I thought about it or "forgot it". My actions, my accountability. I couldn't blame anyone else for what happened to me that day. I hear so many people, and unfortunately a majority being the younger population, blaming others for things that happen to them. Be accountable for your actions...you'll learn more in the long run when you do.

So even though I went through a very painful, very memorable event, there were valuable lessons learned (again, the eternal optimist in me). And this isn't the only event that's happened to me where I've learned something (here and here).

My question: What personal event has lead you to do life a little differently, with more focus?


[Note: photo from http://www.philarockgym.com/]

Your Success Is My Business.”™

pondering - "to think about : reflect on"

Please share with others:

No comments: