Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Nobody Can See The Wizard...?

The Wizard of Oz...a great, classic movie. One of my favorites! In fact, I have a special collectors edition laser disc of the movie (yes, I said laser disc---UGH!).

To me, one of the memorable lines of the movie is when the door man to Emerald City says, "Nobody gets in to see the Wizard! Not no way, not no how!" Of course in the end we understand why.

But, my fondness of the movie is besides the point of my message here: I know of a business, which I frequently go to and do business with, and in this business there are some "classic movie" posters around the place---one of them being the "Wizard of Oz". Since my wife and I enjoy watching classic movies, I've found this an interesting and pleasing side-note to the business. And the business has nothing to do with the entertainment industry, movies or anything with electronics or technology.

But here's the thing that most stands out to me about this business---over the door that leads to where the owner is, there is a sign with the above mentioned quote from the Wizard of Oz movie, "...Nobody gets to see the Wizard...". I think that in some way, the sign is a joke and relates to their Wizard of Oz poster, but then again it maybe is the way the owner thinks.

In all the times I've been in the business the owner has never once, no not once, ever greeted me, spoken to me or even thanked me for doing business there. I've never seen him come out to offer any of this to anyone else either. Hard to believe isn't it?

How do you have a business and not have some conversation or interaction...of any form...with the people who give you their money?!?

Today, I ask you to re-evaluate your business. Is it customer friendly? Does someone either in a leadership position or even the owner meet, greet, interact, talk with the customers that come to your store? Does your store have posted signs that discourage interaction?

If you have any similar situations where you've seen this happen to you, or if you know of a business that for whatever reason isn't customer friendly, I'd love to hear your comments (see link below).

Until next time, remember “Your Success Is My Business."™


http://joeypeacock.com/

No comments: